Described as a ‘Palace By The Sea’, the hotel was formally opened on the 21st July 1864 to great fanfare. It was a feat of Victorian architectural brilliance, masterfully designed by the celebrated architect John Whichcord Jr.
There was an enormous amount of materials used for the construction of the hotel including 3,500,000 bricks, 12,560 cubic feet of York and Portland stone, 450 tons of wrought and cast iron, 23,500 cubic feet of timber and 30 miles of flooring
The original hotel had 300 rooms and was the tallest building in Brighton. The building cost was documented to be around £100,000.
THE GRAND IS BORN...