Image sourced via Chris Horlock
The Grand Brighton occupies the site of the old West Battery which was installed in 1793. It had several cannons pointing out to sea although these were never used for military defence. They would however be fired to salute during royal visits, which would each time shatter the windows of nearby buildings. The Battery was removed in 1858.
WHERE IT ALL BEGAN